Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Prohibido1@aol.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:33:24 EST

In a message dated 2/4/01 4:53:20 PM Pacific Standard Time, bsmith@coin.org
writes:

<< I find Prohibido1's insistence that (my paraphrasing) "open campus means he
 didn't break a rule" and "the school needs to follow its own rules"
 untenable at best, a smokescreen concealing the real issue: was this
 child's habit of walking home alone dangerous or not? >>

People,

I know this is a private listserve. But cannot we be able to discuss the
model without attacks or the need to be right? Cannot we speak of possible
weaknesses in the model at times? Only through bringing things out into the
open can we learn from our mistakes. Mistakes aren't bad. They're
necessary, and a part of life.
I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. I invite it. But I see the
model go much deeper than that.

I've received private emailes from Russia and other foreign countries after
some have read the posts on the listserve. Instead of promoting the model,
some are fighting and becoming defensive about it. Defense is not needed.
You either see it or you don't.The model speaks for itself. It's about the
respect and freedom of children. I'd like to see it grow, whatever it takes.
If we fight amongst ourselves, how can we promote the model abroad? The model
speaks for itself. It's about the respect of children. Let's keep our eye
on the ball okay. :)

Prohibido