Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Kristin Harkness (kristin@harkness.net)
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:26:17 -0500

Depending upon the age and character of the student, the length of the walk
home and the nature of the roads between home and school, I can certainly
imagine a scenario in which, open campus or no, walking home could be
considered dangerous and therefore in violation of the personal safety rule.
An open campus policy does not mean that any student can go anywhere at any
time. It simply means that the school leaves the decision about where to go
up to the student. As with anything else, bad decisions can be made.

Not knowing, as Michelle said so well, all of the information, I cannot say
whether I agree or not that the student should have been brought up.
However, you seem to be arguing that there is no way that this could have
been a violation of the rules. That, I do not agree with.

I used to have this very same confusion about the open campus policy.

Kristin Harkness

Prohibido1@aol.com wrote:

>The child walked off campus. He walked home. He did it more than once.
The