Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Prohibido1@aol.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 11:00:54 EST

In a message dated 2/3/01 10:40:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, bsmith@coin.org
writes:

<<
 If you're not certain of the exact "working" (wording?), then how can you
 so easily declare that this was about punishing the child and finding a
 scapegoat for the school? What was the danger? Who was endangered? Your
 argument is based in the JC-as-punishment perspective, with which I take
 issue. It's about bearing responsibility for one's choices, not
 punishment. At Alpine Valley, behavior that presents a real or potential
 harm to personal safety is not permitted. If that is what this school
 determined to have happened (repeatedly, at that), then maybe they were
 doing what they believed was most appropriate toward the goal of ensuring
 that the behavior didn't keep recurring.

 Perhaps you know more of this story than your post indicates. I, for my
 part, would wait until I knew more of the circumstances before passing
 judgment on this school in this case.

 Bruce

Bruce,

I'm not necessarily "passing judgement on the scool". I am, however, hoping
that the Sud schools take on the responsibilty, via school meeting, the rules
or lack thereof. There was no closed campus policy. Therefore, there was no
rule that prohibited the child to leave. He left, repeatedly. It made the
school look bad to the authorities. The child broke no rule. It was an open
campus to all ages, he left.

 It's an issues most Sud schools face in these potentially dangerous times. I
know of the facts, because I've talked with the mother of the child, the
child, staff members, and looked at J.C. records and the school rules.

My point is this: Have an open campus. Don't have an open campus. Either
way, be prepared to deal with the consequences of that decision. No matter
what the agreement is between the parent/child, the legal responsibility will
inevitably fall with the school.