Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Bruce Smith (bsmith@coin.org)
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:14:06 -0700

>I am also thinking like a Mother of small children.

In other words, you're thinking like the parents of your prospective
students will think, which is a good thing. At the risk of sounding
patronizing (or obvious), don't let go of that perspective (as if you would
or could), even as you become more familiar with Sudbury schooling.

>Does the school meeting decide these types of issues?

Well, yes and no. I guess it partially depends on what you mean by "these
types of issues." The School Meeting does have jurisdiction over day-to-day
affairs, with the Assembly limited to overarching issues such as tuition
and the calendar. In our school, at least, the Assembly does review and
affirm the Open Campus policy each year. So here's a policy which overlaps
both the daily and the overarching.

Bruce