Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Dawn F. Harkness (dawn@harkness.net)
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:56:20 -0500

I hate to sound too lawyerly here, but ...

I would caution against any school adopting a certification process for use
of the open campus policy. I think adopting such a certification process
could result in an increased exposure to legal liability. Certification
implies that the student has been adequately trained and evaluated by the
school to do or use X, in this case go off campus. In my opinion, the
school should not assume the responsibility of evaluating whether or not a
student should leave campus. That responsibility should be squarely on the
students and their parents.

Dawn Harkness