Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Dannyasher@aol.com
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:45:03 EST

This is Hanna from SVS

I grew up in a small very interesting city (Jerusalem in Israel) and I too
loved to explore the streets and the stores. My kids grew up in Sudbury
Valley in the woods and loved that. I think that the idea of the Sudbury
school is important but where it is located isn't really important. Kids
need freedom to become what they chose to become and they can do it anywhere.
 Once they know that the important adults in their lives respect them, they
will use any environment they find themselves in to satisfy their need to
understand the world around them and to find their own place in it. What
they actually do is not the issue at all. Therefore, I think that this
concept can work anywhere with whatever resources are available. Kids only
need to be trusted and let go and they will find riches in places that adults
would find boring to death. I can't wait to see many schools established in
all kinds of places and see in practice what I feel in my bones must be true.

Hanna