Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Freekids@aol.com
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 23:38:54 EST

Hi Susan,

This is Stuart Williams-Ley at Cedarwood, responding to your questions. First
<< What's the difference between certifying someone to use the oven and
 certifying someone to leave campus? >>

For one thing, it's a lot easier to determine whether someone actually knows
how to use an oven. How would you test to see if someone knew whether to
avoid a suspicious-looking person, for example? Now, you could have a
certification procedure that required a person to review a list of safety
precautions and rules; that might be of some benefit in certain
circumstances. But in general I doubt if the school would be in a position to
judge that one 8-year-old was competent to go off campus, while another was
not. In most cases the school simply would not have enough information at its
disposal to be able to distinguish between the two students.

>> Also, could a kid come and sign in at school and take off for the day?
 Susan

Occasionally, yes. But as our open campus policy states, "This policy does
not relieve students of their obligation to attend school." We allow students
to miss four days in a four-week period. If over four weeks a student didn't
attend for three days and went to the mall for another two, we would probably
view the student's attendance as unsatisfactory.

Stuart