Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Susan Jarquin (jarquin@pacbell.net)
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:13:23 -0800

Susan in Los Angeles, California.

I remember being a kid around 10 and my sister was 8. During the summer, we used
to wander along Brand Blvd, which was the main street for Glendale, California.
Looking back, it must have been a strange scene for the adults. We knew
everyone. All the store owners knew us as regular paying customers. We also
used the buses regularly. One day we decided to check out a mall that was an
hour away. We would ask our Mom to leave money and we would walk down to the
grocery store and do the shopping for the family. These are my best childhood
memories.

I'm thinking there would probably have to be some sort of certification for
explorations outside of the school. The safety issues would be different.
Instead of knowing about the dangers of the pond or bugs, the kids would have to
be aware of gang members and crime. Things that we all have to be aware of as
city dwellers.

There is one thing that is a benefit now that I didn't have as a child. These
days there are year round schools and homeschooling is so big that it isn't
strange to see kids out and about during school hours. When I quit school in
sixth grade I had to stay indoors until after 3 p.m. or I would be questioned. I
think now kids just need a notice from the school saying that they have
permission to be off campus. At our local public high school, 11th and 12th
graders can have an annual pass signed by there parent to be off campus.

Susan Jarquin
Los Angeles, California