Re: DSM: playing school rules

Melissa Tyson (mvtyson@hotmail.com)
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:03:13 -0000

Yes, ultimately. If children are individuals as the rest of us, they are
equally responsible to set the standard. Their choice of condition might
not be ideal, but they can choose to sit there and take it or they can
choose not to. I'm not saying it isn't hard, I'm saying there is always a
choice. I went through twelve years of public schooling myself, and for at
least half that knew unequivocally that it wasn't serving me. Regardless, I
sat there like a monkey and let them have their way, full of resentment and
complaining all the while that I had no say in the matter but knowing that I
actually did. That was my fault and my waste and I knew it when I was a kid
and in the midst of their system. Not only that, but I had friends who knew
it also who chose to continue to participate despite their distaste for the
protocol and their complete understanding of it's tyranny. You folks simply
are not giving credit where you say it is most due. They can always opt
out.