Re: DSM: dancing

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:08:28 +1100

Karen,
Thank you for these very interesting stories about your kids.
Regarding your son in senior school, is he aware of Bill Wetzel's work?
Power To The Youth ... www.youthpower.net
He might find a channel for his ranting and raving in that direction.
I think my own son is just a tiny bit young for this, although he has
started up a Power To The Youth Australia website and received great
material from Bill on how to take assertive action to improve schools from
within.
So long as YOU found it fun and/or challenging and/or inspirational to do,
then starting up a school could also be great for him. All that research and
planning and experimenting with decision-making models.
My attitude is: the process itself is educative, whether a school comes out
the other end as a product, well, that would be a bonus, that's all. It's a
bit like not caring what grades you get!
Good luck with whatever venture you go for.
Anne

----- Original Message -----
From: <Kealocke@cs.com>
To: <discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: DSM: dancing

  Both of my children had "unschooling" situations, with a local open school
and at home doing what they wanted. But the school was small, and home was
home. And their dad wanted them in traditional schools. So they both went
off to school...my son in 9th grade and my daughter in 5th.

Neither of them is a gung-ho student, although my daughter during her first
year of school is getting all A's and even 1 A+. But my sense is she's
doing it out of fear of displeasing her father and because of a sense of
shame if she doesn't complete what's expected by teachers. This isn't good,
and I'd change it if I could. All I can do is make it plain that I don't
care what grades she gets.
My son got "good grades" for 2 years, just to prove he could do it. Now he
's a senior and thinks school is silly, ranting and raving about the lack of
respect there. He says he'd help me start a SVS school if I did it.

I haven't seen any indication that they were pretending to want openness,
but my daughter did like her first year of school, worksheets and all. It
seems to me that there are some good things about each model. She now feels
included in the mainstream of society, has friends of many ethnic groups, is
in a large school choir, and knows what the mystery of "middle school" is
about.
And I'd like to see her in a democratic school.
Oh well! It is her choice.

Karen