Re: DSM: dancing

Susan Jarquin (jarquin@pacbell.net)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:26:16 -0800

Anne,
    I do believe that it is my problem. Since we disenrolled in
traditional school my kids have been living happy, joyous, and free.
They visited Cedarwood Sudbury school at the beginning of the month and
were sold. (Too bad it's a 6 hour drive) They thought it was a great
place and have told all who have asked how much they liked it. It was
sort of spiritual driving up and seeing a lone student in the parking
lot skateboarding. I have always felt so bad for the kids around town
that just don't have anywhere to just do what they want to do. I know
in my heart that it's right, it's just all of the programing that I have
undergone. I know I will work this out.
    My oldest daughter graduated from the local public high school last
year. This is a Los Angeles Public School with 2000 students. Starting
in about 6th grade I tried to convince her to quit school. She gave it
a try briefly but just didn't like it. (At the time, I wasn't aware of
any alternative schools) She always scraped by with D minuses. I went
through it for her. It was painful for me. She had a great time.
    As far as the money, I'm sorry I don't really know how your money
equates. I really believe though that considering all of the material
in the starter kit that it is a fair price at $400. I don't think that
they can be making a whole lot of profit, if any at all. I also think
that the Sudbury folks really are doing it as a service for our
society. Everyone is sooooo careful not to say you should do anything
at all.
    At this point, I agree with most of what the Sudbury people have to
say. I just have a few doubts that I'm hoping will clear up with
experience. (Also, I am a person that doubts everything.) If it doesn't
work out I will still benefit from having studied about Sudbury anyway.
Of the other schools I've read about it seems that Sudbury is where the
kids are the most FREE.
Susan