Re: DSM: dancing

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:03:26 +1100

Alan, this is absolutely and definitely what I wanted. It shows (tongue in cheek) that Sudbury parents can produce kids that are as insane as any. Thank you. Anne

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alan Klein
  To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
  Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 3:35 PM
  Subject: Re: DSM: dancing

  Anne, et al,

  My youngest went to Highland as a preschooler (the child of staff members). After we moved to Maryland, she went to hand-picked local private schools. Hand-picked for being as close as we could get to democratic schooling. At sixth grade age, she decided to go to the local public school. The school she had been at was too small for her highly extraverted soul. In addition, her own sense of wanting to fit in led her to want to try the public school.

  She is now a freshman in the local public high school and, while I can't say she has thought all that highly of her recent schooling experience, she has excelled at it. She has managed straight A's all the way through. She does this with absolutely no rewards from us, no mandates to complete homework before television/computer, and with the awareness that we would have preferred that she stay in her old school...the one we had picked for her. She does this with a minimum of effort, fuss, or bother. She works hard when she has to (to get the results she wants) and plays the system like a master...tracking her grades and working the extra credit game to bring that 89% up to an 89.5%, which rounds to an A (for example).

  I don't know if this is the type of story you were looking for, but it's what your question provoked in me!
  ~Alan

  Anne asked:
    I would like to invite stories in this vein from DSM participants, I'm sure the stories are out there. They would help people like Susan and me a great deal. Stories about "Sudbury" parents with offspring in a mainstream coercive school (by the choice of the kid, not due to the circumstance of no "free school" being available).
    You see, how do I know, how does any "newby" know, that Sudbury kids aren't being coerced into behaving as Sudbury kids should?
    Ever sceptically,