Re: DSM: dancing

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:46:27 -0500

Anne suggests:

> Look at the feelings in Scott's "Essay on Injustice" and tell him how to
> apply calliope music to those so as to turn them around.

I take your point. There are injustices, which are not to be laughed at, and
are to be dealt with. It is my experience, though, that those who maintain
strong senses of "self" are those who come through injustice with as little
damage as possible. I think of Nelson Mandela who, though I don't think that
prison was "good" for him, spent 27 years in brutal conditions and, instead
of focusing on how awful his life circumstances were, focused on his vision
and his struggle. I think of kids in ghettos here in the States who don't
let the gang life overtake them and who survive and even flourish in
horrible environments.

None of this is to say that we ought, therefore, to ignore injustice,
oppression, etc. simply because it is possible to survive them relatively
unscathed.

~Alan