Re: DSM: dancing

Sugmapl@aol.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:30:41 EST

Dear Folks,

"He drew a circle that shut me out,
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout,
But love and I had wit to win,
We drew a circle that took him in"
      Anonymous

     I personally like the notion of never drawing the line between "us" and
"them". And then, of course, we are all us. We are all brothers and sisters.
And also, of couse, we have slipped again the bonds of the illusionary
duality. We have gone beyond attack and defend. We have arrived at just where
Alan Tate just took us - to a constructivist reality. And from, and in, such
a reality we now can create. I only like to go here, because I can see so
much more clearly here.
     From here, Sudbury Valley is not "alternative". It is not oppositional
to anything. Sudbury Valley is 'sui generis'.
And, of course, everything else is also.
     From here, for me, Sudbury Valley becomes the single notion of a deep
respect and a profound regard for the child. Since there is nothing more or
better that we can offer, and since anything else is of little use, I believe
such regard is curative (though certainly not in the sense of being cured).
But in this sense: if there is "damage", in the children that come to our
schools or in ourselves, we can offer this regard to them and to ourselves.
And such an offering for so many will be so useful.

Sources:

For a discussion of constructivist epistomology:
Michel Focauolt: "The Archaeology of Knowledge"
Jess Lair: "Ain't I a Wonder and Ai'nt You a Wonder Too"

For a discussion of the theraputic value of regard:
Virginia Axline: "Play Therapy"

Deep Regards,
Bill Richardson