Re: DSM: dancing

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:50:14 +1100

Hi Candy (I think),
I believe that the right to (apparently) do nothing at all is possibly the
hardest one to assert in Western societies. But there is evidence that the
tide is turning on this one. My "bible" on this (and I have been consciously
practising doing nothing now for about 20 years) is Bertrand Russell's "In
Praise of Idleness". I think Australia may be more advanced in this than the
US. Although people winge a lot about "dole bludgers" we have very liberal
welfare policies that do allow adults to take time off (while "pretending"
to look for work).
However, changes in society have traditionally been effected by re-educating
the young to the new ways. I just think it would be more "conscious" somehow
if you were to admit that a Sudbury school *is* educating children within a
new paradigm, and one that has eventual societal change as its purpose. This
is a noble vision and one that I share. But it was not initiated by
children. The founders of the vision were adults. They had and have the best
interests of children at heart. But so do all those unenlightened mainstream
parents that support coercive education.
Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Anne