Re: DSM: Consensus v. Majority Vote

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:54:31 +1100

Joe,
My apologies for so over-simplifying a complex issue.
BTW, several posts back, I think (but I'm not sure) that something I wrote
may have pushed this thread along. I referred to the fact that my son and I
use consensus decision-making in planning for the school we intend to start.
I thought it was a bit of a joke actually. A moment's arithmetical
inspection will reveal that consensus is equivalent to majority vote when
the number 2 imposes its formidable properties onto the situation. (Indeed,
the two are even almost equivalent to autocracy under those circumstances.
Only time allowed for discussion essentially separates the forms.)
Anne