Re: DSM: Re: Re: About offering something (was: dancing)

Prohibido1@aol.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:23:40 EST

In a message dated 1/20/01 4:23:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kristin@harkness.net writes:

<< Life would be poor indeed if we stopped making the first
 sort of offerings to each other. However, the second kind of offering makes
 two judgements about the offeree(s): one, that you believe that they have a
 need or lack in some area, and two, that you believe that they should
 address this need or lack with a different priority than they themselves
 have applied to it (otherwise, they would be approaching you). It is this
 second kind of offering which I believe Sudbury model schools are wary of
 making.

Yes. It's the spirit and attitude in which the offering is made. Offering
as in, "I'd like you to do this with me because I enjoy your company",
instead of, "I'd like you to do this because I think you might benefit from
it."