Re: DSM: dancing

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:28:36 +1100

Hi Candy,
Thank you for the further details on your "noisy kids" story.
BTW: what happened to the "studious" kids/parents? Did they adjust or did
they leave?
I have been very struck by part of the Windsor House handbook (and I know
that WH is not a "Sister School"). It goes:
>> For young people who are not immediately concerned with College, we also
have General Knowledge Lists which encompass the information that Windsor
House teachers think would be necessary to be able to hold your own in a
general conversation. We are all ignorant about enormous portions of
information in the world, so being comfortable with ignorance and not
ashamed to satisfy curiosity is important. Being ignorant about many things
that a lot of your peers seem to know, however, could be embarrassing. >>
 I have discussed this part of the handbook with my son and I sense that he
saw something in it.
I have come to entertain ideas about "l'homme moyen sensuel" or the educated
"man in the street". Nothing special here, just holding your own in a
conversation as WH puts it.
Yes, I would like that for my son and I sense that he would like that too.
Isn't it easier not to worry about this? Not to think about this?
Is it not perhaps a bit of a cop-out - to ignore this?
Maybe so, maybe not. I can't say.
At this stage I want to offer my son material that can equip him to become
an educated HMS. As the French further expand on it: a man who knows almost
nothing about almost everything.
The material is there for him to take up, that's all.
Thank you for your best wishes.
Anne