Re: DSM: dancing

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:29:34 +1100

Alan,
Thank you for filling in the story a little bit more.
It sounds like the parents didn't really understand what the school was
about and/or had unrealistic expectations of what they would see happening
there.
A time frame is important in this context. As with any change-over to new
conditions, there is some chaos at first, at least until things settle
down - in this case, until new students start finding their own directions
in learning. From my own experience watching my son "deschooling" about 6
months' patience should be allowed. I've also seen it reported that students
that have been in a "free school" for a while are helpful for the new
students, partly as role models, partly as living proof that it's OK to do
things this way.
It does worry me that you write about >>kids claiming that they "wanted" to
have>> classes. I would prefer to take a claim on its face value. To doubt
the "real" motives behind a child's claim or request is to deny them a
"real" voice. Of course, it's different if there is real, overt evidence of
unusual parental coercion. But why would such a parent be sending their
child to such a school?
Anyway, I love these stories as pictures of how things can go.
Much appreciated.
Anne