Re: DSM: dancing

Anne and Theo Julienne (ajulienne@bigpond.com)
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:17:59 +1100

Hi Derek,
Nice to meet you here!
I think you're saying that experience has shown that offering courses is
generally a waste of time. Maybe so.
Theo and I have decided to grow our nascent school out of the spirit of
Theo's "10 Minute School Plan". Although the plan is dead (hence the RIP on
our old website, which we're using until the "FreeSchool" website is ready
to go into our signature) we continue to nurture the burial ground in which
the seed was planted.
We have an eye on wider community acceptance as well as looking to "free
school" pioneers for models.
How can I put this?
When Theo was growing up he only knew about ABC TV. I can't stand TV ads and
the commercial TV "culture". By now, the ABC is lucky to get a look-in with
Theo.
Offering courses will be like exposing students to ads.
When we come to deal with the education authorities, we will offer them
Theo's schoolplan in its now evolved form. That is, we will offer them
opportunities to "sell" the curriculum courses to Theo. This might take the
form of allowing visits from qualified teachers to talk with Theo about the
great merits of discovering the meaning and purpose of Ancient Egyptian gods
or the fascinating etymological roots of our language in Ancient Greek and
Latin.
Part of the spirit of Theo's plan is the concept of a boundary on these ads.
In its original version, of course, the boundary was 10 minutes. In the new
context, we may negotiate a one hour session each week, say. We'll work
something out just as, no doubt, the commercial TV stations had to work out
what are reasonable ad breaks. I believe ALL TV ads are too long, but I
allow that Theo can watch them if he chooses.
We're struggling with our new venture and we're not too clear about things
yet. Hope this makes a little sense to you.
Sorry about the Sister School thing. My mistake.
Regards, Anne

Anne and Theo Julienne
www.schoolplan.au2.com {RIP}
Sydney, Australia