DSM: Re: About offering something (was: dancing)

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:16:10 -0500

Recently I saw "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?". based on my relationship with
him, I had a feeling that my son would like it. I "offered" the idea to him.

He got hooked by the election aftermath. Knowing that I couldn't resist a
hanging chad, he "offered" to discuss the issues with me at various times.

My wife read a book recently that she liked. She "offered" that I might like
to read it, as well.

My friends are "West Wing" junkies. They brought a video of it over to our
house and "offered" it to us.

My point is that we do, indeed, make such offers to others. The important
question is why we do it and on what data do we base our "offering". As
staff members of a democratic school, we develop relationships with
students. Based on this relationship, I expect that the students will
"offer" me aspects of their lives and interests that they believe would
interest me or on which they want my input. I feel free to do the same.

This is VERY different from me saying that what I offer is more important
than what the student might choose without my offer.

~Alan Klein