RE: DSM: dancing

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:00:31 -0800

Anne - this is one of the eternal questions. I'd want to answer, sure, offer
away - EXCEPT (and it is a big except) 1) it isn't necessary - really, kids
will find perfectly worthwhile things to do at school regardless of what we
do or don't expose them to; and 2) it's really hard for most adults to
"offer" something without being overtly or subtly manipulative. So, in
practice, at school, I'd say wait until asked.

Note this is my attitude towards school, but not necessarily towards home -
I'll drag my kids off to museums, leave musical instruments and Scientific
Americans lying about and read them Watership Downs while doing my best to
loose the Berinstein Bears that somehow have infiltrated our bookcases. But
even at home, we don't *require* them to do any of it (except not wander off
too far on family 'field trips').

Joseph
Diablo Valley School dad

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne and Theo Julienne [mailto:ajulienne@bigpond.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 4:35 PM
To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
Subject: Re: DSM: dancing

John,
You wrote:
> I keep trying to figure out the most appropriate educational set of
paradigms
> to offer to a small group of students here in the State of Washington. (NW
> United States). The door is wide open and we can pretty much do what we
want
> all funded by the state but you have to learn how to dance to their tune
while
> doing your own personal dance :)

This is intriguing for me.

I'm examining educational paradigms with a view to starting a school. The
current two "dancers" are myself and my son. I think your dancing image
captures a lot of the feelings in the situation.

I've noted in DSM posts a reluctance to "coerce" students by offering
courses of study, encouraging study activities like reading, etc. Is it OK
to "offer" paradigms rather than just waiting for ideas to arise
spontaneously from the potential student body?

I believe that offers are OK so long as "no" is always allowed.

A new voice from...
Anne

Anne and Theo Julienne
www.schoolplan.au2.com {RIP}