RE: DSM: Re: SVS for everyone?

Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:44:32 -0800

Thanks - I'll check it out.

Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Dana Matthew Bennis [mailto:dbennis@umich.edu]

At 08:25 AM 1/11/01 -0800, you wrote:
<In a
>round about way, this is dangerously close to conceding a crucial point to
>those who claim we 'cherry pick' our kids - people can (and have) pointed
>the vast numbers of 'disadvantaged' kids as being, in effect, those whom
>poor nurture (or, more generously, poor environment) has rendered unfit for
>our type of school.
>
>I don't like this argument, but until we get a SM school running in an
inner
>city someplace for a decade or so, I find it hard to refute.

The Albany Free School is located in downtown Albany, NY. Although it is
not a Sudbury school it is very similar, and it has been around since 1969.
 There is an article about it on the web, the URL is:

http://www.empireone.net/~freeschool/aboutschool.html

There is also a book that the co-director, Chris Mercogliano, has written
about the school, entitled Making It Up As We Go Along. Borders and
Barnes and Noble probably carry it.

Dana