Re: DSM: RE: pre-Sudbury parental conduct

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:04:30 -0500

One of the advantages of a "large" school, such as SVS, is that there can be
a number of staff around, each of whom has their own style, interests, and
things to offer students at the school. Even in a small school, (Highland
has never had more than 25-30, I believe), I have never seen staff as there
at the beck and call of students. If we submerge - or, worse, defy - our own
beliefs and values, then we have sabotaged our ability to be fully present,
fully functioning adults. We have done the students a grave disservice. That
said, I have experienced myself, and have observed and read about others,
entering into all sorts of arrangements to do something we may not be crazy
about, if we can be convinced that a student really wants it. Danny's story
about teaching a group of kids math from old, stuffy textbooks is a great
example of this.

~Alan