Re: DSM: RE: pre-Sudbury parental conduct

Scott Gray (sdg@aramis.sudval.org)
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:15:10 -0500 (EST)

Not all students are little. :-)

I measure importance to any person by what s/he tells me.

I fear I really _would_ be a cold person, if I were to make an effort to
pretend that I am equally interested in discussing any subject. Admitting
one's personal tastes, I think, demonstrates warmth and humanity.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 Prohibido1@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/10/01 3:58:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> sdg@aramis.sudval.org writes:
>
> <<
> I refuse students all the time. When little kids ask me to read to them,
> they know (or quickly learn), that I do not want to spend time reading to
> just one or two people at a time, and that I generally refuse to read
> Richard Scarry books or "The Magic Schoolbus." Students know that I am
> easier to draw into a conversation about politics or philosophy, than a
> discussion about art.
> >>

> This sounds awfully cold to me, since I know of very few, if any, little
> children who wish to indulge in politics. And just how do you measure
> importance to a child?

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

-- Isaac Asimov