Re: DSM: RE: pre-Sudbury parental conduct

Scott Gray (sdg@aramis.sudval.org)
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:56:21 -0500 (EST)

Alan took the words out of my mouth.

I refuse students all the time. When little kids ask me to read to them,
they know (or quickly learn), that I do not want to spend time reading to
just one or two people at a time, and that I generally refuse to read
Richard Scarry books or "The Magic Schoolbus." Students know that I am
easier to draw into a conversation about politics or philosophy, than a
discussion about art.

I think the key is this. As a staff member I do not refuse or indulge
student requests based upon an analyzsis of what would be good for _them_
-- I refuse or indulge student requests based on whether I think that
would be a good use of _my_ time (and, to be sure, how important the
request is to the student is a major factor).

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Alan Klein wrote:

> Cary raises an interesting question here. (My response and question follow.)

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
All men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.

-- Abraham Lincoln