Re: DSM: Questions for Lisa

Allan Saugstad (asaugstad@vsb.bc.ca)
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:29:57 -0800

Cindy,

I am not sure if you know this, but I think we once talked about opening a new
school. I too am in the planning stages of opening a sudbury-like school just
outside of Vancouver, B.C.

We are looking at buying real estate in a beautiful rural setting. To make it
financially feasible, we are looking for 8 families to go together , each paying
around $100,000 each for a lot. These lots would be flexibly zoned so that we
could build 8 homes and a school on the land (40 acres total). Each family would
then build their own home on their own lot.

This way we can plan a caring, child-friendly community and have like-minded
people who are interested in founding a democratic school for their children.
There seems to be a lot of young families interested in this idea. The school
itself would be open to anyone (we would need more than just the 8 families'
kids). As an accredited teacher and vice-principal, I am looking at the
possibility of opening it either as an alternative public school or an
independent school. Both options are fraught with potential problems, but
because the land for the school would be paid for by the 8 owners, operating
costs would not be too enormous.

Anyways, this is the plan for now. It's a hell of a lot of thinking and work,
but hopefully something will come of it!!

I look forward to communicating with you more!

Allan