RE: DSM: Re: Subtle Coercion?

Scott Gray (sdg@aramis.sudval.org)
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:25:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi Melissa,

Scott Gray from Sudbury Valley here.

There are many circumstances, in life in which giving an honest assessment
is rude. Maybe it's my Yankee background, but if someone has expressed an
inclination for or against an activity, I don't think it is my place to
second-guess that inclination.

I wouldn't want to tell someone that "I think it is very important and
character building to keep pets," after that person had expressed a lack
of interest in keeping pets. I don't think that I am being dishonest by
choosing to be polite and hold my tongue.

If I stated, out loud, every thought which ever flitted through my mind,
people I know would not call that "honesty," they would call that "lack of
discretion." I dare you to find one adult who is _not_ thought rude, who
actually openly expresses _every_ heartfelt opinion that s/he holds; real
people pick and choose what to say and whom to say it to based upon
whether it would be appropriate.