Re: DSM: pre-Sudbury parental conduct

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 08:43:53 -0800

Dear Mitter-Burkes,

Hitting the peg on the head does not have its own reward if you were trying to
miss it. And by the way what sane individual who had not been coerced into
believing that for some insane reason someone should get a jolly over hitting the
top of a peg, talk about conditioning from an outside stimulus !!!

I think your comment about home schooling is misplaced.

If you have a dictatorial attitude in your home that is the situation you choose
to live with, it is not the problem of the home schooling paradigm. Certainly if
parents are able to become teachers that fit into the SV model you and your wife
could make the same choice.

Home schooling has a number of possible outcomes which some might see as a
liability while others see it as an asset. Home schooling as a concept in no way
would prevent the SV model from being implemented in the schooling part of the
Home schooling experience, while the family part of the experience may not be
democratic in any way.

The paradigm is one of the best I have had the joy to research, the results have
been evident throughout the country with different results with different
populations.

If SV model students tend to give their parent's "back talk" I question if they
really understand the values that SV is trying to instill. "Back talk" hardly
sounds like individuals respecting the rights of others.

I doubt that your facts of life resemble my facts of life.

John Axtell