Re: DSM: Re: Subtle Coercion?

The Booroobin Sudbury School (booroobin@squirrel.com.au)
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:07:36 +1000

Hi Dana,
I wasn't seeking to jump on anyone's back. I was simply seeking to clarify
how we seek to respond. I'm not interested in spreading the word of
"alternative" schools. I didn't say that. In fact I expressed the fact
that we were contemplating being involved in the conference. As it is
likely we will attend, and if they accept papers we propose to deliver, our
involvement will be to express the democracy of The Booroobin Sudbury
School. Hopefully that will draw out discussion and thinking about what
democracy ought to mean in its practical application in Schools. We will be
also proposing a networking of truly independent Schools in Australia; and
opening discussion on outcomes based education which some of the
"alternative" Schools appear to be adopting. In our opinion and the opinion
of others, there are no other truly democratic Schools in Australia. As I
indicated earlier, it is their claim to being democratic that we are
concerned about. I also indicated that there is a limited, but growing
market / interest for different forms of education. But the level of
acceptance for this is apparently tiny at this stage. We are a business, we
have to be. And naturally our levels of income and expenses are part and
parcel of that. It is one of the benefits for Students who enrol in this
School in that they can become involved in the day to day operation of this
business, in order to work with others to make it at least sustainable, and
potentially grow and prosper. Competition should not be seen as a bad
thing. It is the way that competition happens, that can make it good or
not. So at the moment, if some Schools are calling themselves "democratic",
especially if they are only a "little" democratic, the competition is unfair
already, especially when we work hard to ensure that the practical
implementation of democracy and its principles are strong in the minds of
anyone who considers enrolling. We don't go out and market the School and
undertake public relations in ways that denigrates our competition, instead
we seek to define and highlight our philosophy and individuality. We know
that what we are and how we operate has impacts, and has been since 1994, on
systems and Schools around us and up to State Government level.
Regards, Derek
The Booroobin Sudbury School
http://booroobinschool.squirrel.com.au
Ph/fax +61 07 5499 9944