DSM: RE: Re: answers for CindyK

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:55:34 -0500

Cindy and all,

I started reading about attachment parenting about a year ago and have great
admiration for it. While I find that we related with our children much in
the manner of Attachment Parenting when they were young, I wish I had
stumbled on it earlier.

I even begged my sister who had her first child recently to look into it.

-Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
[mailto:owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org]On Behalf Of CindyK
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 12:07 PM
To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
Subject: DSM: Re: answers for CindyK

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your wonderful answers. I will try not to fret over the money.

Now, you asked me what attachment parenting is. This may be a little off
topic for this list so if others don't want to read on they can pass on this
email. I will link it to the Sudbury Model.

Attachment parenting is a phrase that was coined by a pediatrician named Dr.
William Sears. He lives in California with his wife and has had 8 kids I
think (at last count). He has written many books and talks about the value
of letting children lead the growing process. Attachment parenting (AP)
allows children to seperate from their parents when they are ready. It
includes practices such as breastfeeding, baby wearing, answering baby's
cries, taking baby with you everywhere to help keep the bond, etc... As
children grow older, it encompasses letting your child lead when he is ready
to move onto the next phase. It deals with having a great amount of trust
in your child.

I am an attachment parent and it is my respect for my kids that resulted
from this kind of parenting that has led me to look into alternative forms
of education. The SM appeals to me so much because it too respects children
and thier ability to lead their own lives. It's almost a natural extension
of AP for me.

Hope that explains it. I tried to keep it short.
~CindyK