DSM: Re: answers for CindyK

CindyK (cindyk@unitz.on.ca)
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:07:07 -0500

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your wonderful answers. I will try not to fret over the money.

Now, you asked me what attachment parenting is. This may be a little off topic for this list so if others don't want to read on they can pass on this email. I will link it to the Sudbury Model.

Attachment parenting is a phrase that was coined by a pediatrician named Dr. William Sears. He lives in California with his wife and has had 8 kids I think (at last count). He has written many books and talks about the value of letting children lead the growing process. Attachment parenting (AP) allows children to seperate from their parents when they are ready. It includes practices such as breastfeeding, baby wearing, answering baby's cries, taking baby with you everywhere to help keep the bond, etc... As children grow older, it encompasses letting your child lead when he is ready to move onto the next phase. It deals with having a great amount of trust in your child.

I am an attachment parent and it is my respect for my kids that resulted from this kind of parenting that has led me to look into alternative forms of education. The SM appeals to me so much because it too respects children and thier ability to lead their own lives. It's almost a natural extension of AP for me.

Hope that explains it. I tried to keep it short.
~CindyK