Re: DSM: Re: Subtle Coercion?

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:56:34 -0500

Someone (I forget who) gave this example of an adult-adult interaction:

> > Here's an example: I have an adult friend who recently told me she has
> > little interest in reading. I balked at this as I find it quite sad and
> > offered that she try some children's books which are easier and which I
> > frequently read myself. She did not ask me if I knew any good
> > ones or if I
> > knew where she could get one, but I took the initiative and offered "The
> > Giver" as I'd read it recently and really enjoyed it. She took
> > it and read
> > it and liked it of her own volition. Hers was the freedom to
> > choose to read
> > it or not to read it. It had nothing to do with my not making the
> > suggestion for fear of forcing her into it. That would have been
absurd.

Joe responded:
> Well, if by using this as a test case of something that would be
> inappropriate for a staff to say to a student, then you are correct.

Joe (and others who may agree with him),

I would like to hear more about your view of this as an inappropriate
staff - student interaction. It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. There is
no coercion and the other person brought up the subject. The "staff" person
simply responded with their own take on the situation and with a suggestion.

~Alan Klein