Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

Martin Wilke (martin.wilke@gmx.net)
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 22:38:09 +0100 (MET)

John Axtell schrieb:

> Why do people consider rules decided on by a majority of a group to be
less
> onerous than rules decided on by a dictator ?

Because rules are needed, and democracy is the best possible way to make
rules; it's impossible to come to consensus in every matter. In a
democracy every member can make proposals and try to find a majority.
But when you have a dictator it's hopeless to change rules you don't
like. And you also can't make decisions by a minority-vote, because
then, instead of the minority the majority would be dissatisfied.

> In dealing with parents in a public school setting I find their ideas
much
> more upsetting than those of the school superintendent (the dictator).

When parents have a vote but students don't, that's undemocratic.
Schools are usually made up of: teachers/staff <10%, students >90%,
parents 0%.

Martin Wilke