Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

Bruce Smith (bsmith@coin.org)
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:22:47 -0700

><< There is absolutely no basis for that assumption. True, I
> don't know of a Sudbury school that officially nominates, elects, or
> appoints guardians for new and young students. >>
>
>The only basis I have is what I've seen. I've seen little children struggle
>with school meeting and JC at times in some schools.
>
>Also, Ombudsmen aren't guardians. And they aren't only for young children.
>They are for anyone who wishes one.

You are misunderstanding my point. I stated that there's no basis for
assuming new and young students need the support of official,
school-sanctioned helpers. I am not saying that these students do not
struggle at times, but at the three Sudbury schools where I've staffed,
support has emerged spontaneously, and has worked very effectively, time
and time again.

Bruce