RE: DSM: Subtle Coercion?

Connie Shaw (ordinary_person@email.msn.com)
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:51:47 -0700

Yes, I gather that happens at the larger schools, but there seem to be a lot
of quite small SVM schools (or schools similar to SVM). I'm asking whether
this same kind of "expansion" into the community can happen there as well.
It seems not to be happening at Liberty Valley School. I'm interested in
this question because I expect that our school will start small, and I want
to understand the factors that make it difficult for schools like these to
grow. Michelle lost a student because of the lack of things like yoga and
pottery--I'm guessing thats happened more than once in the smaller schools.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
[mailto:owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org]On Behalf Of Joe
Jackson
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 10:16 AM
To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
Subject: RE: DSM: Subtle Coercion?

> But, for example, if a
> student wants to learn yoga or pottery, and the school is too
> small for that
> to happen, would it work for the student to take a yoga or pottery class
> being offered outside the school?

Connie, that is a core function of what happens at the SM school. It goes
on all the time. We have a weekly horseback riding class that happens at
local stables. And while our yoga and pottery have taken place inside the
school, there are plenty of other examples where students leave campus to
learn and/or "apprentice". Sometimes they get funding for it from SM, other
times they get partial or no SM funding and have to come up with the
balance.

-Joe