Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

Scott Gray (sdg@aramis.sudval.org)
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 02:57:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, John Axtell wrote:

> Ok so here is a dumb question.
>
> How was the "experiment" proven many years ago and where can you get a copy of
> the proof?
>
> It would be great to have something a bit more scientific than simple opinions
> and attitudes to convince parents of the validity of the model.
>
> John Axtell

Hi John, Scott Gray from Sudbury Valley, here.

Not a dumb question at all. This is a subtle question, and one which goes
directly to the point.

1: Check out studies of alumni from Sudbury Valley (particularly "Legacy
of Trust), which compare them on various standards of success.

2: I would suggest (and have suggested often) that the burden of proof is
on the traditional schools, and not on Sudbury schools. The reason is
this -- Sudbury schools are _not_ making a positive claim, while the
traditional schools are, and any lawyer or scientist can explain exactly
why the burden of proof is always placed on the person making the positive
claim (I can too, but those who want an explanation are better off reading
the introduction to John Stuart Mill's fantastic book "The Sudbjection of
Women" -- I have an electronic copy on my website at
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/books/). Traditional schools suggest a causal
relationship bertween having a curriculum, and turning out people who are
somehow better suited for adult life -- and that has never been proven (in
fact, estimated per capita literacy rates were _lower_ in Boston thirty
years after truancy laws went into effect than they were before truancy
laws).

Take care,

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
Love is not all: it is not meat nor drink
Nor slumber nor a roof against the rain;
Nor yet a floating spar to men that sink
And rise and sink and rise and sink again;
Love can not fill the thickened lung with breath,
Nor clean the blood, nor set the fractured bone;
Yet many a man is making friends with death
Even as I speak, for lack of love alone.
It well may be that in a difficult hour,
Pinned down by pain and moaning for release,
Or nagged by want past resolution's power,
I might be driven to sell your love for peace,
Or trade the memory of this night for food.
It well may be. I do not think I would.

-- Edna St. Vincent Millay