Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

Mitter-Burkes (aamb@mediaone.net)
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 02:40:20 -0500

on 1/5/01 10:35 AM, Heidi Barker at hbarker@mtaonline.net wrote:

<snip>

> You have 130,000 to draw from for your school? That's a lot more than I
> would have. I live in interior Alaska, 100 miles south of Fairbanks, near
> Denali National Park. We're moving to Fairbanks this summer, population
> 38,000. While Interior Alaskans do tend to be a little on the different
> side, I'm worried that that isn't big enough to support a democratic
> school. Anybody know what's the smallest community that does support a
> democratic school?

The Red Cedar School in Bristol, Vermont is a strong contender for this
record. Bristol itself has a pop. of about 4,000; Bristol and two adjacent
towns account for at least half the kids. Its county (770 sq miles) has a
pop of 35,000. Now in its 12th year and going strong, enrollment has ranged
from like 18 to 28 over the years. (btw, they have a GREAT web-site with a
unique and articulate presentation of the philosophy
[http://www.redcedarschool.com/]).

In the early days when we were really struggling, the folks at Sudbury tried
to encourage us by comparing our per capita enrollment to theirs, which for
us was 7 per 10,000 population and for them was like 0.5! There is
something to this... Bristol is a totally cool!

-Alan Mitter-Burke