DSM: a discussion of uncompromised modulation

Sat, 06 Jan 2001 13:48:04 -0800

What has been compromised is human development. To give young children
abstract rules and values and books to function by places the cart before
the horse. Children's five senses have to develop in an exploration of the
real world. This is what creates their mind structure as human beings on
planet earth. Without this structure in place people never really quite
arrive here. They develop as abstractions instead. It would be the same as
if twenty companies developed software independently and then asked Bill
Gates to write an operating system to run them. The potential of the
operating system would necessarily be very limited. This is true of people.
It appears that we are using but 1% of our potential. All because we insist
our children behave themselves according to "our standards" and because we
ask them to read before eleven years old. Yes, we need be afraid of what
free children might do, but only because of what fear has done to them. It
has made them imbeciles.

Modulation must occur in the brain that the brain adapt to what is life. We
are not born with a functioning brain the way we are born with a functioning
heart. Any instincts are only the very first steps of survival, e.g.,
nursing. Apart from that it is up to adult models to demonstrate success at
living. What they demonstrate will be imprinted into the child's brain. Then
(as if to challenge my statement above) the brain grows an operating system
to accommodate the programming. Millions of new connections form at four,
six and eleven years. That this is new hardware is true only to an extent.
We are genetically programmed to bond at birth with mother, explore at her
side, then explore with her safely close by, explore others while having mom
to return to, explore the broader environment knowing parents still provide,
and finally to explore on one's own when realizing that autonomous survival
is an exciting adventure. This genetically programmed operating system
creates a creative person with an amazing ability to thrive -- maybe a
hundred times more than the compromised person.

Modulation is what happens in the brain because the child is allowed to
modulate. With controlled risk and a little mutual respect the child is
allowed to explore. Neurons vibrate in response to the five sense's
exploration and relate input to "uterine-mom" software already developed.
Sequentially, various vibratory rates mesh signals as neurons learn (through
rapport from neurons) which signals successfully go where. This is cause and
effect learning -- what works is developed. As signals manage to mesh in the
brain a "world" begins to form that can be recorded and built upon. (It is
interesting to note that people who gain first sight later in life through
eye surgery see only a chaos of flashes and colors.) This "world" is the
software gradually coming together in the brain. Where modulation is lacking
that software will not be developed and then no operating system develops to
support it. That is why the neocortex, two thirds the space in our heads,
the high achievement of evolution (if evolution really exists) goes largely
unused.

Practically no modulation occurs (maybe 2%) because of words (parental
judgments). The genetic operating system insists that learning, and
survival, be reality based. What gets imprinted in the brain is what adults
fundamentally model. If they model the world as disorganized stress then the
child adapts to this because 1) it is the only known world, and 2) to avoid
abandonment. If orderly congruency and peace are modeled the child conforms
its operating system to this. And this, as it so happens, is congruent with
the genetic program that would open the neocortex to know a world that
thrives in creative cooperation.

Modulating abstractions creatively is built-in to occur after age eleven.
Then values and books have real utility because they can relate to a real
world imprinted in the brain. Body/senses, mind/memory, emotional
connections, and the facts of life will continue to coordinate fluidly,
subconsciously, for the sake of survival as the higher brain takes over
creative direction of consciousness. This is what happens in a creative
society. This does not happen in "schooled" individuals. They have no
reality of survival. They have abstractions of survival as a basis to
function by. So limited, survival will always be such a struggle that no
energy is left for purely creative thought. This retarded ability is
supported by a society which fails to recognize the value of free-of-values
thought process. Ironically, the values-society has little ability to
recognize the true values found in the higher "Godly" creative thought which
we are genetically programmed to reveal. A values-society must remain a
materialistic society based in survival.

Modulation of real values is a product of a society setting fear of outcome
aside that free adventure may set the boundaries of an open mind. Here the
mind expands to its full ability. Here is the essence of education -- it is
modeling fearless joyous intuitive survival, free of abstract boundries. By
the time students are ready for abstract data they will be prepared to sort
through it and absorb it at a rate we can only dream of. The catch is to
recognize these exceptional abilities blossoming at age four and then not
suppress them with a retarded status quo way of doing things. At least allow
children adventure even at some risk. Secondly, try to take them into the
adult world of survival without fear or judgment. To a happy child, it all
is play.

More below...

on 1/4/01 11:57 PM, Robert Swanson at robertswanson@icehouse.net wrote:

> Uncompromised Modulation
> (modulate: to adapt according to the circumstances)

The mind must be programed fundamentally, same as a computer. Software and
hardware can only be successfully added to a working base. The base must be
cause-effect relative to reality.
> Computer development will reach a magnificent turning point in the year
> 2010. No longer will specific information be directed into computers as
> programming. Instead we will use cause and effect relationship of computer
> and environment. No longer will individual programs conflict in their
> interaction. Instead, a fundamental base of cooperative operations will
> smooth over additional functions by applying them to a practical framework.
> From the outside this will appear to be intuitive functioning.
Intelligence will appear intuitive because we won't be wasting thought
rehashing what was supposed to be experientially learned by four years old
and practically applied by age eleven. Fear/values based people are not
cause-effect educated. They are faced with a life of mundane conscious work
that is terribly frustrating and forces maladaptations socially based, not
creatively based.

> It will happen like this. A mother robot will be placed in an office. She
> will go to a desk and there dump a hundred million nanobots. These nanobots
> are tiny computers that can move about. Their individual function is limited
> but the variety of connections they can make with each other is virtually
> unlimited. What they need to do now is configure themselves to meet the task
> at hand, the office. The mother robot's job is to deliver them to the
> various aspects of the environment that will be their task.
The brain is born infinitely adaptable. It is not born adapted. The world
and the senses must come together that the knowledge of life be formed from
the ground up.

> So the nanobots run about the desk connecting to anything at random. They
> touch things, they photograph, they measure, they sample. What they learn is
> referenced to the mother model. She provides the base reference points for
> what begins "reality". As one area of the office has been assimilated the
> mother robot directs them to other items. "Reality" expands. She keeps the
> nanobots from climbing out a window or falling into a toilet.
In the womb the mother has already been modeling reality to the child. It
has been learning languaging and also either stress management or joy
management. How the child comes to be born is a major factor. It is the
basis for how and how soon the child begins to explore.

At four years the child recognizes most of the stuff of life. At seven years
the child becomes the organizer of stuff.
> In about four days the workspace has been assimilated by the nanobots
> through their contact with objects. By the seventh day the nanobots have
> begun organizing themselves into patterns apart from the objects. This way
> they can begin to relate to things apart from being with that thing
> experientially. They now have "awareness" of the fax machine without going
> to the machine. The world of the nanobots becomes a separate reality as
> nanobot thought. This frees the nanobots to test infinite configurations
> between the office furnishings. They will test the possibility of filing
> papers in the sink. They will try plugging the typewriter into the copy
> machine. They will test the effect of vacuuming clutter from the desktop. In
> the end they will choose operations that have continuance. And they will
> choose operations that have continuance through expansion. Simply put, they
> are learning to be practical.
Survival and expansion are the only real values to a child experiencing
reality.

At eleven years the child becomes the organizer of abstractions -
abstractions concerning the way stuff is organized.
> Around the eleventh day functional patterns will be resolved. The phone
> will be answered when it rings. Files will be organized in drawers. The
> ledger will be balanced. With these issues resolved many of the nanobots can
> stop moving around and set themselves in a pattern to manage these things
> with greatest efficiency. The group energy can now focus on advanced
> operations. A third programming issue can now be addressed. Given the
> functional nature of learned interrelationships, the nanobots can now assess
> these functions as separate programming. That is, office procedure can be
> considered apart from this specific office. The nanobots can think for
> themselves what sort of office building they would like to create and how it
> would do business. Learning (programming) has become fully abstract. This
> can happen safely because a working base is in place.
Pure creativity opens because survival is second nature -- the child
successfully learned causes and effects.

>From eleven to fifteen the child practices creatively applying the given
world to abstract possibilities. This is the final modulation preparing the
child to be a creator of life, creating according to higher and higher
values as "reality" expands with the adventure.
> By day sixteen the nanobots have optimized their abstract evaluation of
> procedures. They are ready to move into creation. This is the next logical
> step for being a business that is not a dead end. As a practical matter they
> want to expand function. This can be done in at least two ways. One way is
> for the nanobot computer to network with other nanobots who have arrived at
> similar conclusions. Another way is for the nanobot computer to become a
> mother and release millions or trillions of nanobots into a new environment.
> Whichever it chooses will best further continuance.
Whether a great creator of stuff or a great parent, life will seem filled
with purpose and fulfillment.

> If you are wondering where this places humans in the functional order, this
> is a good question. For many years humans have placed abstract analysis
> ahead of basic experience thus avoiding the foundation on which abstraction
> finds functionality. This is not continuance programming. It reaches its end
> in the confusion created within the material foundation of day to day
> business. No one develops a full patterned understanding to uphold
> continuance. Instead people have used isolated unfounded abstract values
> (superstition) for expansion into new areas. This builds chaos upon chaos.
> Though some individual parts function well, the system as a whole is at
> least retarded, and at most a ticking time bomb.
Violence, despair and insanity are natural outcomes to minds without a
working base, trapped in the fight-flight of survival.
> Perhaps some day humans
> will develop that higher nature of intelligence -- reflection based in
> reality. Then they can choose the real values of continuance and expansion.
> To do so would mean bringing children to playful experiential exploration
> throughout childhood, and adding in abstraction (reading, writing and values
> systems) after age eleven. The teens are for free exploration of applying
> what they have learned by testing reconfigurations. Adulthood is for giving
> birth to reconfigurations expanding continuance. Their intelligence will
> seem intuitive. Here are the Einsteins and Mozarts and Teslas and great
> leaders of nations. And really great parents and teachers as playful models
> of possibility.
Einstein did poorly in school. Mozart had no schooling. And Tesla -- I don't
think he knew where he got his fantastic creations that are the basis for
most everything we have in our modern society.