Re: DSM: RE: Subtle Coercion?

The Highland School (highland@ruralnet.org)
Fri, 04 Jan 1980 20:20:57 -0500

Hi Connie,
My experience is that children who start school in a democratic
environment have no problem rejecting unwanted suggestions or
withstanding well meaning attempts to influence their activities. On
the other hand, I have seen children with traditional schooling
backgrounds seek out guidance from staff often in a very direct fashion
- "Tell me what to do." Not providing answers to fill the void - even
when asked - can then be part of a staff member's responsibility. It
really depends on the situation! Candy Landvoigt