DSM: RE: Subtle Coercion?

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:00:51 -0500

This is a key subject that has come up before...

When we were faced with the issue of the intrinsic nature of persuasiveness
in the fundamental physical environment prior to opening Fairhaven, we
realized that the "agenda of the environment" issue just continues ad
absuditum and we would probably never open. In other words, in order to
create an environment free of passive agenda, we would have had to start a
school free of books, furniture, trees, buildings, air, and sunlight because
all of these things seemingly suggest an associated action.

What we did was fill it with the most neutral, non-suggestive things we
could think of. Books, but such a large amount and wide variety of books
that no overriding agenda would likely be gleaned. Art supplies, computer
and office equipment, blocks, furniture, dishes and flatware. The best we
could do at the time was add a neutral set of elements that we felt omitting
would be ridiculous - we had to draw a line. However we did go into
operation without a judicial system or lawbook. Our inital School Meeting
on September 23, 1998 (which was attended by virtually _all_ students and
staff) voted to adopt a Judicial Committee modeled closely to SVS's, and
voted in laws one by one.

(By the way, someone mentioned that a founder at Blue Mountain says JC is
harsh. I think that's one way of looking at it. However, realize that
students at any of our schools could change judicial systems any time they
want, and yet at many of our schools they prefer JC over any other method
out there. Much as it is difficult for us as conventionally-schooled adults
to understand how Sudbury students see school, I think it is equally
difficult for those of us who were conventional-school-disciplined to
understand how they can see so much value in JC that they would prefer it
over other, supposedly "gentler" methods.)

As it turns out our fears were misplaced. I think if there is any one
operational aspect of the SM schools that doesn't get enough press, it's the
fierceness with which the students demand reforming the environment. Within
weeks things were either heavily used or totally ignored, and I'd say by the
middle of the second year the school it's safe to say the school's physical
environment was owned and created by SM.

So I think the "purists" on this matter are never at the absurd end of the
spectrum, it's just that it's a scale, and founding groups tend to figure
out where they're going to fall on that scale quite late in the startup
process, when practical and concrete issues rule many of the decisions made
about the hundreds and hundreds of teensy-weensie details that have to be
decided.

-Joe Jackson
mailto:shoeless@jazztbone.com
http://www.jazztbone.com
http://www.fairhavenschool.com

"In America in the last 20 years, for every seven people executed, one
person sentenced to death was later proved to be innocent."

-- U. S. Senator Patrick Leahy, D-VT