Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

The Booroobin Sudbury School (booroobin@squirrel.com.au)
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 17:36:54 +1000

Hi Dana,
I understand that you're seeking inclusiveness and to broaden discussions to
include other independent Schools. I know there are more similarities than
differences in Sudbury Schools and a whole range of other Schools, which
some refer to as "alternative". And thanks for pointing out to everyone
about NCACS ( I was going to backtrack and correct it, because we have a
link on our web site, but most people in the discussion group would probably
know of them anyhow). I know the value of working with others. In fact
there are people organising a "democratic schools" conference in Sydney,
Australia in April. As with our contemplation of being involved in that
conference, we are concerned about becoming involved with Schools or groups
who believe their Schools operate democratically. We put a huge amount of
energy into our School. We don't necessarily want to become part of a group
where our values or carefully crafted identity become blended or submerged
under the heading of something which we uphold as being so important, but
which others use and apply so lightly, and not particularly responsibly.
Our time is best invested, in my opinion, in continuing to put out the
values and messages inherent in the Sudbury model. This in itself gets
people thinking, talking, and sometimes leads to action. We can meet and
join with others already in those other organisations to discuss ways and
means to put out messages about better ways and means for kids to learn and
the variety of Schools that are available to choose from or that can be
established. Whilst we want to be co-operative, we are also conscious that
we are in competition with these other Schools, in what is currently (even
though it will change slowly over time) a limited market that is accepting
of different educational concepts.
Regards, Derek
The Booroobin Sudbury School
http://booroobinschool.squirrel.com.au