Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

Dana Matthew Bennis (dbennis@umich.edu)
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 00:23:56 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, The Booroobin Sudbury School wrote:

> Hi Dana, and others,
> There are already groupings of Schools with vaguely similar philosophies,
> but with the exception of Sudbury Valley model Schools, most are not
> democratic. IDEC, the "International Democratic Education Conference" is
> held annually and is hosted by a School somewhere in the world, and brings
> together a large range of Schools. There is also the principally US based
> NAACS, the National Association of Alternative Community Schools, which also
> meets annually, usually in the US.
> Regards, Derek
> The Booroobin Sudbury School

Thanks Derek.

Also, there is the international Alternative Education Resource
Organization (AERO).

(and its actually NCACS, National Coalition of . . . )

Many of the schools involved in these organizations are not as democratic,
but they do share many thoughts regarding schooling and children. Lets
please concentrate on the similarities among all these schools, not the
differences. I too disagree with some of Summerhill's practices,
especially the subtle pressure for kids to attend classes. But
there are a VAST amount of practices at Summerhill that are also a part of
Sudbury. The same goes for so many of the alternative schools out there.

I don't want to preach, I just keep reading through email after email of
people pointing out the differences in schools and not highlighting the
similarities and using those to help spread the idea of democratic
schools.

Dana