Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

Scott Gray (sdg@aramis.sudval.org)
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:51:09 -0500 (EST)

Um... How is it more "democratic" for the state to have agents whose job
it is to "get out the vote?"

Democracy means the _right_ to vote. With all the consequences -- people
don't always get what they want in a democratic school (I sure don't!). It
does not mean a requirement to vote, or coercion to speak. When our
youngest students have something to say in School Meeting, they have no
problem saying it -- they don't need an agent to help them say it.

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 Prohibido1@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/5/01 4:01:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> booroobin@squirrel.com.au writes:
>
> << Hi all,
> Summerhill is a School that deserves respect for many of the things that it
> has done. I have a huge amount of respect for it. However it is not
> democratic. There have been discussions on this before, and I'm sure others
> will have their say on this. Summerhill operates meetings with limited
> decision making power, in a democratic manner >>
>
> Derek,
> Been there. Seen it. It is very democratic. It surpasses the SM model, in
> my humble opinion,in that it supplies ombudsmen to help the little children
> to be heard in school meetings.

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sdg@sudval.org
http://www.sudval.org/~sdg
Everything you've learned in school as "obvious" becomes
less and less obvious as you begin to study the universe.
For example, there are no solids in the universe. There's
not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute
continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight
lines.

-- R. Buckminster Fuller