Re: DSM: Interest increasing?

cathy@indra.com
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:16:03 -0700

Hi Heidi,

Good idea about involving the local media. I was going to start putting up
flyers on the bulletin boards in the health-food stores around here, which
I may still do...but actually just my plea to other Boulder parents that I
posted here rewarded me with the information that there is already an
incipient school here! Oh joy. Connie here in Boulder is involved with
starting the Living School, slated to begin un-classes this fall.
(http://www.livingschool.org) I have visited the Denver school, and that's
an option for us, but I'm not excited about commuting and I guess I
personally had more of a wilderness setting in mind. But the people there,
students and staff, definitely seem committed to what they're
doing--they've made it past the excited-about-starting-a-school stage.
They just bought their own location and they have about 25-30 students, I
think. (http://www.alpineval.org) And as for Blue Mountain School, it's
in Oregon, about 20 miles south of Eugene, and you should probably read
about it yourself so I don't give any wrong information.
(http://www.efn.org/~blue_mtn/) I ended up writing to the contact address
there for clarifications.

Where do you live, Heidi? Maybe there's one closer that you haven't heard
about yet!

C.

By the way, it was the Mothering article that set me off too. I had pretty
much decided on unschooling (depending on what my son wants to do, of
course) before hearing about all this.