Re: DSM: RE: personal observations regarding praise and encouragement

Freekids@aol.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:20:17 EST

Hi,

This is Stuart Williams-Ley, responding to Susan's story about a teenager who
called someone (her own mother) "white trash." She wondered whether her
response contradicts the Sudbury philosophy of avoiding the evaluation of
students.

Perhaps the best thing that adults can do for children is to serve as good
role models. I don't think we are being good role models if we ignore what
children say. When they say things we find objectionable, we should let them
know. However, it is usually possible to do this without making the child
feel wrong.

Stuart