Re: DSM: RE: personal observations regarding praise and encouragement

Susan Jarquin (jarquin@pacbell.net)
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 08:39:13 -0800

Greetings,
    Is it appropriate to discuss issues that are on the other side? For instance, I spent
time one day with some teenagers driving them to a Rock Concert. The one girl, a pretty good
friend of my daughters, stated that her mother was White Trash, because she enjoyed pottery.
I do not personally know the mother.
    I have had personal situations of being the only white person in a room and listening to
people talk about all white people as White Trash. I finally reached a point where I had to
start making a statement that this offended me personally. I just say something like this:
Since I am a white person and I enjoyed living in a trailer park as a teenager, it would
probably be appropriate for me to exclude myself from this conversation and walk away.
    So when the girl made this statement, it was my natural reaction to speak with her about
my negative feelings about her statement. So, was I trying to discourage her from making
those statements? The interesting thing is that my daughters friends are all frightened of
me. (Public Schooled Children) However, when they have a problem they call my daughter and
ask for my advise. Maybe it's my willingness to share my honest opinion with them.
    What is the Heartlight group?
Susan