Re: DSM: RE: personal observations regarding praise and encouragement

David Rovner (rovners@netvision.net.il)
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:27:06 +0200

Concerning praise and encouragement, what can be more instructive than looking at
Evaluation -- Free at last.
I wish to direct your attention -- as a "thinking material" (chomer lemachshaba, in
Hebrew) -- to Evaluation, Free at last -- Sudbury Valley School, by Daniel Greenberg,
 If we are already talking about the subject, I'm sure you'll agree with me that this
material gives an excellent perspective on the subject:

[following I bring relevant excerpts (emphasis is mine.- D.R.)]:
        "One day I was playing catch with a six year old. Each time he threw, and each
time he tried to catch, I "encouraged" him: "Good Job"; "Nice throw"; "Great try."
Suddenly, he threw the ball at me angrily and shouted, "I don't want to play with you
any more. Your'e lying. I threw terribly; it wasn't at all good, and your'e a big faker."
        Of course he was right. And I was wrong. It was another valuable lesson for me
at school . . ."
        ". . . At the heart of Sudbury Valley is the policy that we don't rate people. We
don't compare them to each other, or to some standard we have set. For us, such an
activity IS A VIOLATION OF THE STUDENTS' RIGHT TO PRIVACY AND SELF
DETERMINATION.
        The school is not a judge. . ."
        ". . . And what we gain at school, as a bonus from our no-grading and no-rating
policy, is an atmosphere free of competition among students or battles for adult
approval. At Sudbury Valley, people help each other all the time. They have no reason
not to."

A child is not a cat, and dealing with children is not animal-training/taming, even
though public schools and governments, ALL OF THEM, and a lot of parents, think
they are allowed everything, including indoctrination (#@%&) ! !
David