DSM: RE: personal observations regarding praise and encouragement

Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:44:12 -0800

What fun. I enjoy all the thoughtful remarks from the Heartlight group
regarding encouragement. Made me think.

When I worked with retarded adults we scheduled and counted our encouraging
remarks. They were not sincere always, but at least we were beginning to
take notice of our own behaviors as we made a point of noticing their
behaviors.

More recently, with children, I consider whether to give praise 1) when the
child seems to come looking for it, and 2) when I am genuinely delighted and
wish to voice my interest. It seems these two forms of praise are how most
adults treat other adults.

My cat gets tons of praise. I wanted to take responsibility for the quality
of life I create for myself and the cat. So I considered that being
unresponsive in the cat's presence modeled arrogance and disdain. Being
aloof in the cat's presence affected both of us. I decided that the cat's
presence was a prompt for me to undo my heart of arrogance and disdain. I
began telling the cat she is appreciated and beautiful, and thanked her for
kind gestures (cat style hugs and kisses). She learned to reply when I
asked, "are you hungry?" and she gets her favorite catfood. When scratching
my favorite chair she gets roughed up playfully. Now she uses my favorite
chair to ask for play (not ideal, but its my own doing). So she has control
of food, play, and also asking for a door or window to be opened. The
results of all this are 1) a sense lightness and honor in a relationship of
mutual respect, 2) enhancement of my self-appreciation as an effect on
others, 3) enhancement of the cat's ability to get needs met in a human
environment, 4) the odd assortment of comments people make about an
extraordinary cat when they visit my house, 5) a sense of obligation to take
time for encouragement when this seems a distraction from my personal time
(but the distraction is probably time well spent).

My behavior regarding encouragement is being shaped over the years. It has
gone from rather condescending comments of flattery for my own benefit, to
praise in behalf of others for the sake of our relationship, to sincere
heartfelt responses for an intuited higher good. And this intuition is
evolving as I reconsider my perception in light of Joseph Pearce's comments
on studies of human development.

It is looking as though ideal encouragement is a mother's 100% attention to
an infant without any tension. Ideal encouragement is a safe,
free-to-adventure environment that expands with the child's abilities, with
a few safety and personal respect boundries, but no judgements, no anger, no
value system imposed (love and adventure are the only values, and, these are
for the sake of human development as an inborn value, Godsent if you will).
Ideal encouragement is adults welcoming a child into their environment as
100% play, and children welcoming adults into their play as equals. No
judgements, no values, just imagination and adventure. Again the adventure
expands as ability expands. Ideal encouragement is the playful way adults
learned in childhood to go about tasks with enthusiam and cooperation, and
so they share this with others at a job or in the community, and at home
with their children. It is about love. Fight or flight never gets developed
as a way of life. In its place are models who demonstrate the functionality
of empathy, honesty, creativity and following your joy.

Did you see Robin Williams in Jack? The movie was on tv tonight. Robin plays
a kid who grows too fast into an adult body. I enjoyed the contrast between
the children's love of adventure and the adults' love of value judgements.

(It isn't that values don't develop, but because we choose not to value what
does not work, fight-flight as a value system does not develop. What does
develop is open to what does work better and better.)

The other day it was as if the cat noticed my lack of ability to mimic her
growl, so she changed her voice to mimic my deep rumbling vocalization. I
was totally flattered.

robert

on 12/20/00 10:04 PM, goldilocksinbb@aol.com at goldilocksinbb@aol.com