Re: DSM: An alternative teacher at a tr ...

The Booroobin Sudbury School (booroobin@squirrel.com.au)
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:31:33 +1000

Hi Anna,
Just back after visiting my mother for Christmas and spending a few days
there. We all have to learn to live with what we've got, even though we
might aspire for more. Our laws in Oz and the State of Queensland are
different from the US and also different from Russia. No matter where you
live you need to understand the law and know how to use it to your benefit.
It was pretty awful to hear about your friend, who the law, or those
enforcing it, required him to take responsibility for the actions of
another, the Student in his lesson. I believe that each person has to take
responsibility for their own actions. I don't believe that the same would
apply here. I haven't heard of anything similar happening here. It would
possibly take an action through the civil courts to put the responsibility
on to the teacher. Even then, I can't see a jury holding the teacher
responsible. Even if so, it would not result in jail, unless a negative
outcome was referred to the Police. It is the case that Schools (as opposed
to individual teachers) are usually responsible for Students once they, I
think, enter the School gate. At The Booroobin Sudbury School, each Student
is required to take responsibility for themselves as part of their Enrolment
Contract, and this is acknowledged and endorsed by their parents or
guardians in their part of the Contract. This does not completely answer
the issue of liability. An legal action could still be brought against the
School for negligence. People need to already know that freedom, with
responsibility and respect in a democratic environment are the best ways for
young people to experience learning and prepare for life. School is the
best place for this to start.
Let us know if we can help.
Regards, Derek
The Booroobin Sudbury School